Yep – a 10-Minute Seafood chowder. Who’d’ve thunk it?
This recipe comes from my #bloodyfabulous friend and former business partner, Emma.
Long term AIPers will be very familiar with Em’ from her days as The Bacon Mum, and then working with me at Conscious Autoimmunity. Despite the fact that Em’ is not currently blogging, we continue to receive emails about her recipes and we wanted a good place for her recipes to stay available, so here we are… Emma’s AMAZING 10-Minute Seafood Chowder.
As a busy single mum, Em’s special sauce is creating tasty and nutritious recipes that are super-simple to make. This baby is no exception.
This is what Em’ had to say about her 10-minute seafood chowder:
“How many times have you purchased some protein like fish at the store and thrown it into the freezer because you didn’t get to prepare before it was wasted? This is common in my house. As a working mum, sometimes it’s easier to grab something out of the freezer that I have batch-cooked instead of preparing the dish I had pinned!
Last weekend I was short of time, but really wanted a warming cozy soup It’s winter in Chicago, which means soup is on the menu an awful lot! Without any time to make broth from scratch, I looked into the freezer for my frozen broth stash, and my eye caught on a bag of shrimp, some salmon, and some cod fillets – all of which needed to be used. As I was short on time, I figured cooking fish from frozen in the instant pot would be the way to go. I threw all caution to the wind and with little preparation, put it all into the instant pot! My 10 Minute AIP Seafood Chowder was born!
I was so consumed by this soup that when I sent Jo a text, she laughed at me… “I just made THE best chowder ever!”
When we then connected on one of our regular catch-ups I said, “Seriously, it is so cozy. I’ve had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I’ll be so sad when it’s all gone”. Jo’s response was, “You had better write that one up, then.”
Well, you know how we love sharing our greatest creations, so read on!
Can I tell you I think this is the best recipe I have ever created? So much so, I’ve made it three times since – just to make sure I got it right. I look for your feedback, too – please don’t be shy with telling me what you think. I really think it’s amazing… especially because it only takes 10 minutes!”
- 1 pound/450g wild salmon, frozen
- 2 pounds/900g white fish (like cod, halibut, hake, haddock, whiting), frozen
- 1 pound/450g wild shrimp (peeled), frozen
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices/rashers bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 large kumara/sweet potato
- 3 large heads of broccoli
- 3 cups of chicken bone broth
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley (or 3 teaspoons dried)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried)\
- Place oil into your Instant Pot and switch to 'sauté' mode
- Add onion, garlic and bacon to Instant Pot. Cook until bacon is crispy, stirring to prevent sticking
- Select 'keep warm/cancel' on Instant Pot
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into 1-inch cubes and add to Instant Pot
- Cut up broccoli stalks into ½″ cubes and add to Instant Pot
- Cut frozen salmon and whitefish of choice into 1-inch chunks and add to the pot.
- Add bone broth, frozen shrimp, salt, parsley and dill into the pot
- Switch Instant Pot to 'Manual' and use the Minus (-) button to reduce set time to 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, select the Instant Pot quick release