“A well-made salad must have a certain uniformity; it should make perfect sense for those ingredients to share a bowl.” – Yotam Ottolenghi
Want some food trivia?
Cole slaw (cold slaw) got it’s name from the Dutch ‘kool sla’ – ‘kool’ is cabbage and ‘sla’ is salad – meaning simply, cabbage salad. In English, that became ‘cole slaw’ and eventually ‘cold slaw’. The original Dutch ‘kool sla’ was most likely served hot.
They say you learn something new every day!
I first conceived the idea of this wee ‘slaw round up because I’m just the teeniest bit fixated with The Bacon Mum’s Finger Lickin’ Baked Chicken recipe. It’s seriously good. So good that it even stands the teenager fried chicken test. And – it’s baked (not fried). AND – it’s AIP friendly.
It’s the closet thing to Colonel Sander’s secret recipe I’ve come across
…and, when I think of natural partners for fried chicken, the first thing that pops into my head is cole slaw!
The ABSOLUTE best thing about ‘coleslaw’-type salads?
– they improve in flavour for ‘next day’ eating. Which is great, especially when you are time poor.
So, for your ‘slaw pleasure I now present to you 12 AIP-friendly ‘slaw recipes to add to your salad arsenal…
- ‘O for Oarsome’ Ottolenghi-Inspired Kohlrabi, Carrot and Apple Salad from yours truly!
- Sweet Cider Slaw from the Tara at Paleo Cajun Lady
- Grilled Chicken Ranch Slaw – unsurprisingly, a second slaw from Tara (she comes from the land of fried chicken!)
- A tasty wee Coleslaw number from Jen at My Big Fat Grain Free Life
- One of our favourites is this ROCKING Fennel and Apple Slaw …
- Easy Middle Eastern Inspired Coleslaw – Dora over at Provincial Paleo brings us this Middle Eastern number.
- Coleslaw With Caper Anchovy Dressing – Stephanie at Fresh Tart brings us a dressing with two of my most favourite ingredients in the world – anchovies and capers.
- Tangy Turnips and Sprouts Slaw. Who else but Martine over at Eat Heal Thrive would even come up with the idea of popping turnips into a ‘slaw. Brilliant!
- Tropical Jicama Slaw – Gabriella over at Beyond the Bite gives us our first jicama slaw
- Summer Cabbage and Jicama Coleslaw – Mickey’s cabbage and jicama combo’ can be found over at Autoimmune Paleo
- Alexandra from Don’t Eat the Spatula offers a great hit of nutrients with both raw carrots and beetroot in this baby – Raw Beet and Carrot Salad
- My ‘Eat a Rainbow’ Beetroot, Carrot and Herb Salad gives you a similar offering, only with an extra hit of greenery…