Who said cauliflower rice couldn’t take over the world? This Coconut Herbed Rice Salad is CRAZY GOOD. And it fits my requirements for nutrient density. PLUS it’s a salad that lasts more than a day in the fridge (I’m a big fan of the wilt-free salad!)…
AIP is all about making choices that serve you. In fact, I’m partial to making that a question I ask myself often, “How does this serve me?”
The cauliflower is a GREAT example of a nutrient dense, cruciferous vegetable that serves you very well.
Did you know that cauliflower contains some of almost every vitamin and mineral that you need? Yep. It’s especially high in choline, an essential nutrient which plays a complex role in all sorts of good things in your body.
And, it’s pretty high in fibre and antioxidants. In particular, sulforaphane which may actually help to reduce inflammation and protect against several diseases.
Eat more cauliflower!
Cauliflower is one of those vegetables that are easy to under-estimate. It’s SUPER versatile and when it comes to living an AIP way of life, well – the cauli’ is a great one to have in your arsenal!
And this Coconut Herbed Cauliflower Rice Salad is an easy, tasty and nutrient-rich way to eat more of this good-for-you vegetable. And, it’s full of yummy Aisian-inspired flavours to get your tastebuds tingling.
I’d even go so far to say that the AIP muggles in your life will have absolutely no idea that you are sneaking an EXTRA serve of their recommended 8-plus serves of vegetables when you give them this little number…
“I like rice. Rice is great if you’re hungry and want 2000 of something. ”
And – just in case you’re inspired to add MORE cauliflower goodness into your life, here are some other Cauliflower numbers I’m partial to:
- Kale and Preserved Lemon ‘Couscous’ Cauliflower Rice
- Green and Gold Saffron ‘Rice’
- MIGHTY Oven-Roasted Cauliflower with Rosemary
- CRACKING Cauliflower Tortillas (AIP Reintro)
- WORLD FAMOUS Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Sultanas, Capers and Hazelnuts (AIP Reintro)
- HEARTY Cauliflower and Leek Soup with Crispy Bacon Bits
Inspired by a recipe from Mike Eggert, this salad is perfect served with some simply barbecued protein like fish, chicken or lamb.
Do let me know what you think?
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 cups riced cauliflower (approximately half a medium cauliflower)
- 2 cm piece of ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Finely grated zest and juice of 3 limes + fresh lime wedges to serve
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 bunch each mint and coriander (cilantro), leaves finely chopped
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add riced cauliflower and stir so the melted coconut oil is evenly distributed. Cover with a lid so the cauliflower steams. Cook until tender, about 6-7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound the ginger, garlic and sugar into a paste. Stir in lime zest and juice, coconut milk, fish sauce and coconut aminos.
- Place cooled cooked cauliflower rice and herbs into a bowl. Add ½ cup of the dressing and toss to combine.
- Add extra dressing to taste. Reserve any remaining dressing to serve.