Episode 2 of my collaborative project with Rory Linehan of The Paleo PI and Petra Chambers-Sinclair of BiohackU – two of my favourite peeps in this corner of the health caper world – is up and running!
The three of us all hail from different corners of the globe and have very different life experiences, but we share both friendship and passion for seeking health through an holistic approach. The intention behind our podcast is to seek out and interview others who share the same goal – and hopefully impart what we learn and have a little fun along the way. We hope you’ll join us!
In this episode, Healing Protocols: the global edition co-host Rory Linehan shares the story of his decline in health, which began in his late teens, and how through trial-and-error he gradually found the healing protocol lifestyle that enabled him to heal from debilitating brain fog, skin issues, abscesses and anxiety. 10 years on, he reveals his comprehensive health philosophy that enabled him to power through the dark days, transform his health and thrive.
Episode 2: Rory Linehan
If you enjoy the podcast, please consider leaving a positive review in iTunes or Stitcher. It would help us spread the word and it would mean the world to me.
0.00 Introduction to the Healing Protocols: the global edition
1.20 Welcome to Episode 2: Interview with Rory Linehan
1:48 Joanna: How did you start a Paleo Healing Protocol lifestyle?
- 1:57: At 18, contracted mononucleosis. Then developed skin issues and anxiety. Dry eye then emerged as a symptom, as well as lethargy, depression, brain fog and abscesses. Doctors were unable to help and research on the internet led to Terry Wahl’s TED talk. Started paleo and then 3 months later, the Autoimmune Protocol.
5:07 Petra: Tell us about your current protocol and why you made those changes
- 5:55: Followed the Autoimmune Protocol for 3 years. Skin issues, lethargy, brain food and depression lifted. Other issues emerged during this time: problems with sulfur-rich foods and intolerance to starches. With Functional Medicine doctors, discovered gut dysbiosis. Tried treatment. Gradually learned that gut motility issues were at the root of symptoms.
8:11 Joanna: Gut motility?
- 8:15: Ability to digest food and how long it spends in the digestive tract. Gut motility is likely connected to gut dysbiosis. Improving gut motility become a primary strategy. Diet is now more paleo than Autoimmune Protocol. Through incorporating spicy foods, lost water weight, bowel movements improved, and food tolerances expanded.
11:10 Joanna: Introducing nightshades, many people don’t tolerate them. What does your health look like now, what are you doing to continue to improve it?
- 11:35: Regarding nightshades: never diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. For food reintroductions see Eileen Laird’s Reintroduction Guide. Abscesses, skin issues, anxiety gone. Energy improved. Still working on dry eye symptom. Strategies: keeping positive, eating well, supportive social networks, getting outside, getting sunshine, walking, meditating and prioritizing sleep.
16:32 Petra: How do you manage and prioritize time?
- 17:06: Trial and error. Being clear about goals. Values pyramid: at the top is health. Each week, prioritize health and identify a series of steps. Setting aside blocks of time and following through. Making sure my calendar isn’t full. Takes discipline and flexibility.
20:27 Joanna: Self-care at the pinnacle of the priority list?
- 20:49: Self-care is at the top. Not easy: difficult to put self first.
21:48 Joanna: You have recently redesigned your website, the Paleo PI. Can you tell us about your ‘three pillars of health’ philosophy?
- 22:25: Three pillars to healing: 1.) nutrition; 2.) lifestyle; and 3.) mindset. All healing efforts fall under those three pillars. Nutrition: choices about what to eat, as well as what not to eat. Lifestyle includes stress management, nature, spending time with loved ones, exercise. Mindset is generally under-emphasized. About thinking and feeling on a daily basis: includes positivity and self-talk. Big impact.
24:05 Petra: A significant thing I’ve learned from you is about the power of mindset and how you embody a positive mindset for yourself as well as for other people. What advice would you give to someone who was just about to embark on a healing protocol?
- 26:22: Be gentle with yourself. You’ll slip up: what is important is how you deal with that. Comes back to mindset. Emphasize patience. Healing takes time: three years on the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol. Create little goals and milestones so you can see progress. Little things add up to something big.
29:33 Joanna: Who has been the most influential person for you as you have pursued your healing protocol lifestyle?
- 29:51: Terry Wahls. Impressed with her dedication to her health. Terry reversed secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. Was in a tilt-recline wheelchair when she started. As a doctor, she had to throw out the conventional thinking that she had learned in medical school when she started to look into nutrition as a tool for healing.