So, it’s Easter and it’s a long weekend AND (possibly most importantly) last night we watched the fabulous Heston Blumenthal on ‘How to Cook Like Heston’ teach us how to cook the perfect soft-boiled egg. I have been lucky enough to attend a dinner cooked by the man himself (along with the equally fabulous Thomas Keller), and I have a teensy crush on him.
All good reasons, I think, to share Heston’s way with you. Nothing beats a perfect soft-boiled egg with soldiers for breakfast, I reckon’! Heston’s way will ensure you have a beautifully runny yolk BUT the white will be cooked. The man is a legend!
As with many things in life, it is not difficult BUT you must start with the freshest of ingredients. In this case – eggs!
You will need:
- Enough large eggs for one per person
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Place the eggs in the smallest pan available and only add enough cold water to cover them. Put the lid on the pan and place over the highest heat possible.
- When the water comes to the boil, remove the pan from the heat and wait for 6 minutes. (I will be using a timer.)
- After the time has elapsed, remove the lid and carefully remove each egg. Cut the top of each egg before serving in egg cups.
- (Optional) Eat your perfect eggs with your soldiers.
We’ll be having this after collecting our fresh eggs from the market tomorrow. Happy Easter!