EMMA’S INSTANT POT BEEF BOURGUIGNON – a hearty and Tummy-Warming Meal, FAST!
This recipe comes from my #bloodyfabulous friend and former business partner, Emma.
Long term AIPers will be very familiar with Em’ from her days as The Bacon Mum, and then working with me at Conscious Autoimmunity. Despite the fact that Em’ is not currently blogging, we both continue to receive emails about her recipes and we wanted a good place for her recipes to stay available, so here we are… Today it’s time for Emma’s tummy-warming and speedy Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon.
As a busy single mum, Em’s special sauce is creating tasty and nutritious recipes that are super-simple to make.
This is what Em’ had to say about her scrummy take on the classic:
“This past Friday night while my daughter was on a play date I really fancied Beef Stew. I had some stewing beef in the fridge along with some bacon, and veggies, and I thought that was the route I would go… until my eye landed on a bottle of red wine that a friend had opened while visiting recently. I was reminded of a recipe that my Mum used to make when I was a child, one that would fill the house with a rich aroma that warmed you just on inhalation!
Although alcohol is not AIP elimination compliant when cooked the alcohol is burned off. Never one to waste leftover wine, I decided to craft an AIP style Beef Bourguignon recipe as my ode to Julia Child!
And while I was making this, as the aroma started to fill the house I actually started salivating! I was so pleased that I only had to wait 40 minutes for dinner to be ready. Boy, was I rewarded!”
- 1 pound / 450 g stewing beef or flank steak, cubed
- ½ pound / 225 g bacon
- 5 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper (omit if on AIP elimination)
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup beef bone broth
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes/kumara
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Switch Instant Pot to 'browning' setting. Add oil.
- Pat beef dry and season. Sauté in batches to give them room in the Instant Pot to brown. Set aside.
- Slice bacon into thin strips and brown with onions
- Add browned beef and then add all remaining ingredients
- Switch Instant Pot to 'high pressure' setting and set to 40 Minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and enjoy!