This kale Sauce is SUPER-KALEY-FRAGILISTIC!
I wonder how Julie Andrews felT about kale when she was SINGING about feeling SupercalafRajalistickespialadojus
So, we all know it’s been a year. Stress levels are up. COVID kilos are a thing. And, I’ve had some slightly less than stellar blood test results recently.
As a result of this health ‘stuff’, I’ve been doubling down on my efforts to increase the nutrient density of my diet. Specifically, oodles more leafy greens. And, so alongside my side of fermented veggies on my dinner (and breakfast and lunch) plate every day, I’ve been adding a hefty dollop of this… kale sauce
Today I bring you my super-KALEY-frigilistic green sauce number.
Kale is an über-popular leafy green and a member of the cabbage family. It is related to cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts.
There are different types of kale. (The one pictured below is known as Cavelo Nero or black kale). You’ll find that leaves can be green or purple in colour, and have either a smooth or curly shape.
Kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. It is:
- loaded with antioxidants
- an excellent source of Vitamin C
- one of the best sources of Vitamin K
- high in beta-carotene
- good for your eyes
THAT’S why kale!
You already know what a lover of green sauce I am. A girl can never have too many of these little numbers up her sleeve.
This little invention of mine is kind of a pesto-y, tapenade-y, green sauce-y number that is chock full of green kale-y good stuff. I’m a teeny bit smitten and I’m not kidding when I tell you that I’m adding it to (almost) everything.
Back when I first created this puppy, I was originally going to call it my GORGEOUS Green Goop. Truly, I was. But then, when I informally surveyed a couple of my nearest and dearest, it wasn’t the most popular choice. There may even have been derisive laughter.
I got the message. Goop is not a word that sells. Apparently. Unless your name is Gwyneth. Which mine isn’t.
And then, a client of mine (the lovely Misty) came up with Superkaleyfragilistic Kale Sauce. And that stuck!
So, that’s what we’re calling it!
WAYS TO INCORPORATED THIS NUTRIENT DENSE, Kale Sauce PUPPY INTO YOUR LIFE…
- Add kale sauce to eggs and bacon (for your very own AIP reintro’ green eggs and ham)
- Stir a generous dollop of kale sauce into a bowl of soup
- Drizzle kale sauce over roasted vegetables
- Stuff kale sauce into chicken thighs and baked (a little like this)
- Schmear kale sauce over freshly grilled fish
- Use kale sauce for your favourite AIP pizza base (mine is found in The Healing Kitchen)
- Stir kale sauce through zoodles (and top with Crackling’ Chicken)
Here it is…
- 1 bunch kale, washed and with stalks removed
- 1 bunch parsley, washed and with stalks removed
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 or 5 anchovies
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Roughly chop your kale and parsley. place into the bowl of your food processor.
- Add garlic clove, anchovies, capers and lemon juice.
- With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil through the funnel of your processor until mixed thoroughly. Whiz until it becomes a paste. You may need to stop your machine a couple of times and push the leaves down the sides of the bowl to ensure an even consistency.
- Stop the food processor and taste. Season accordingly.