“One is never over-dressed or underdressed with a Little Black Dress.”
― Karl Lagerfeld
This chicken and veggie soup number is the little black dress of chicken soups. It is so simple and versatile (not to mention nutrient dense, too).
Even better, it fits a number of protocols… It’s full of gut-healing bone broth. It’s made with no added fat and uses skinless chicken breasts (so it satisfies the needs of your weird friends who haven’t discovered the merits of happy fat, yet. They will, don’t worry!) – but, it’s so easy to add some happy fat at the end. The base vegetables can easily be tweaked to satisfy a low FODMAP diet. And, it’s so tasty, your AIP muggle-mates won’t have a clue they’re being ‘healthy’.
The LBD of Chicken Soups can easily adapt to suit:
- Low carb
- Low fat/high fat (just add a tablespoon or two of your favourite fat to your bowl!)
- Low FODMAP (follow the recipe instructions)
- AIP Muggle friendly
- Whole 30
This recipe makes 6 serves. So, if you’re feeling greedy and want to make it all for yourself, I suggest portioning it up into 1/2 litre jars – that’s about 2 serves per jar. It freezes beautifully (just wait until the soup cools before you put the jars into your freezer).
I have another WORLD FAMOUS Super-Power Chicken Soup which is fab’ for long winter days when you want spend some time in the kitchen, but this LBD version is my no fail, easy-peasy option.
I think this has the potential to become a family favourite at your place…
- 1 litre chicken bone broth
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (approximately 400g/14 oz), preferably organic
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 zucchini, diced
- 3 sping onions/scallions, chopped
- a few stalks of parsley, chopped (optional)
- Place bone broth, garlic, herbs and salt into a large dutch over a medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Add chicken. Return to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through. Remove chicken to a bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Now, stir in carrots, celery and zucchini. Bring to the boil then reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, chop the chicken into bite-sized chunks. Add to the soup, along with the spring onions, once the vegetables are ready. Heat through for a couple more miunutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped parsley
To add fat, stir in 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, coconut oil or ghee (if tolerated).
For a higher carb version, add 1 peeled and diced sweet potato five minutes before adding the rest of the vegetables.
For low FODMAP, increase carrots and zucchini to 4 and reduce celery to one stalk. Use only the green portion of the spring onions.
E N J O Y !